Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Skull-A-Day 2.0: Update 2

Thanks for the great feedback on my questions about image management! I've taken everyone's suggestions under consideration and here's my new plan (for now):

1. I'll be more selective about what I post. I have a hard time with this, since I'm really interested in encouraging creativity and not being judgmental, but I'm trying to see it from the point of view of folks visiting the site as well. Though I will definitely give preference to things made specifically for the site over pre-existing work.

2. I'll group 2-3 items by theme in some posts from time to time when it makes sense to do so.

3. I'll put less emphasis on simulacra. Right now my plan is to group 3-4 at a time and post them on Sundays.

4. I'm only going to accept tattoo images from the tattoo artist, and since there are really a lot of places where tattoos can be posted, I'm going to be extremely selective here.

I liked the idea of a fan forum, where folks can view/vote on all the images, but I don't have the time/energy/expertise to set this up. If anyone wants to set up a fan run fan gallery I will gladly support it.

I also like the idea of eventually having other moderators here (ala Boing Boing), but I think that has to wait for Skull-A-Day 3.0!

Skull-A-Day 2.0 is a work in progress so please keep giving me your feedback and I'll keep tweaking things. Thanks again for sticking around and playing along!

3 comments:

giddy girlie said...

Any easy way to create a place for "fans" as well as submissions would be to create a photo group pool on Flickr. It's free and easy and then takes some of the 'administrative' junk off of your hands. Just let people drop 'em in and go!

kellybelly said...

Drat. I should have submitted a photo of my tattoo back when I first thought of it. Oh well.

Alex R. said...

I think the fan thing would be great if it worked like a lot notcot.org. Anyone could post stuff up then vote on submissions.