Monday, July 6, 2009

Skull Purse

Heather Rigney, who made this cigar box purse, said: "Around the time that I created this purse I had been fascinated with the religious overtones mixed with skull imagery found in old New England cemeteries near my home. The entire box is covered in bible verses from a Catholic bible I found on the street. The back of the bible, strangely enough, had floor plans for various cathedrals. Those are the cross-like, yellow shapes on the sides. The next layer is a mixture of purple rice paper and ceremonial Chinese Joss paper. The image of the skull with wings was created by combining two 17th or 18th century gravestone rubbings of a skull and an angel. I had combined the two images in Photoshop. "

Fashionista C Says:

Another fashionable skull accessories. I love the reuse of materials that would normally end up as trash. This an an excellent example of "upcycling ".

Too bad most schools are out of session for the summer, because it would be great to see what your class would come up with for our monthly contest. Never fear we have some wonderful contest ideas for when school is traditionally in session for all the teachers out there. That's right one guaranteed activity a month for your class provided by your friends at Skull-A-Day.

1 comment:

Tatman said...

Another one for the ladies. I also like the other one on your blog