Friday, July 16, 2010

[Flashback Friday] 118. Skull Chair A.K.A. (Very) Skair(y)

Welcome to another addition of Flashback Friday.** This year the guest editors, Azurafae, Tatman, and myself, Citizen Agent, are taking turns counting down our personal favorite 17 skulls from the Original 365.25 Year. So please join us as we visit the archives and add our additional commentary on some of the original pieces.

#12: 118. Skull Chair A.K.A. (Very) Skair(y)

C. Eames says:

I am a one trick pony when it comes to comments on this one, I wrote almost the exact same comment today as I did almost 3 years ago and now I have that song stuck in my head. When I saw this piece, sitting where the photo was taken, I immediately thought of a tombstone. I even went so far as to send in a roughly edited photo of it that was featured here. I don't know what type of chairs your parents have, but the shape of this one accents the skull design so perfectly. Another reason why this one has stood out in my mind for so long is because of your conversion of a functioning everyday object into art that is probably still functioning in its original purpose. Once again I am reminded of the mid-20th Century art movements in which lines were tested taking art off the gallery walls and finding it in everyday usable objects.

**Flashback Friday was a weekly countdown of the fan selected top 52 skulls of Skull-A-Day 1.o. Each week during year 3.0 The Skullmaster posted the original skull along with some additional commentary in order from lowest to highest rated, with the #1 skull appearing in the last week of year 3.0, all 52 can be found here.

2 comments:

Captain Morgan said...

I love this chair. I came across the book in an art store in Albuquerque last week. I'm in awe of both the talent and dedication. Cheers to more!

Noah said...

Thanks for the kind words C and Captain! And yes, it is indeed still a functional chair.