Friday, November 12, 2010

[Flashback Friday] 161. Latch Hook Skull

Welcome to another addition of Flashback Friday.** This year the guest editors, Citizen Agent, Tatman, and myself, Azurafae, are taking turns counting down our personal favorite 17 skulls from the Original 365.25 Year. So please join us as we visit the archives and add our additional commentary on some of the original pieces.

#12 - 161. Latch Hook Skull


What drew me to this one, is a memory. My aunt (now deceased) taught me how to do latch hook when I was a young girl. I still have a partially done rose project that she gave me. This makes me want to finish it and add it to the collection of finished ones. For this skull piece, I like that Noah took an existing kit, rearranged the colors and pattern, so he could make this. I like the use of monotone colors for the shading and highlights. The colors remind me of coffee, tea, tobacco, orange juice, spices, tar and dirt that might be ground into a well used rug. I wonder if you could dye yarn with such substances.

I understand that he did this in one day, which I know from experience is really rough on your hands. Especially the knuckles which can drag across the rough canvas as you latch hook the yarn. I know that the process of latch hooking is time consuming and rather precise, so I commend him for doing such a detailed project using latch hook.


**Flashback Friday was a weekly countdown of the fan selected top 52 skulls of Skull-A-Day 1.o. Each week during year 3.0 The Skullmaster posted the original skull along with some additional commentary in order from lowest to highest rated, with the #1 skull appearing in the last week of year 3.0, all 52 can be found here.

3 comments:

Noah said...

Thanks for appreciating how hard that was to make in one day! I had no idea what I was getting into when I started it.

Abby Davis said...

I've torn up my knuckles many times doing latch hook rugs. I think through out this project we all have had those "What the heck was I thinking when I chose this!" moments.

Noah said...

Ha, indeed!